Friday 25 July 2014

Top 10: Disney villain songs

Note: There are sources that put "Love is a Open Door" as a villain song, I personally don't classify it as one so I put it on the last list. Its really down to personal opinion though.

Whats a good hero without a good villain? And in terms of Disney, what's a good villain without a good villain song? You know of the types of songs I'm talking about, these are the songs that praise the villain for being a villain, making look evil and yet amazing. These are normally the songs we know and remember and its for that reason why they get their own list. The rules from the last Disney list still apply, so lets see who's the baddie who can put out the best tune.

10. The Imperial March (Star wars):

If I don't get Star wars fans yelling at me, then I may or may not be doing my job properly... with that said, there is only one reason why this is so low on this list, if said reason wasn't a issue, this would have been number 1. So why 10? because while Disney did buy Lucas-arts and now owns Star wars, I still don't count it as a Disney IP. I love this theme and I love the films, and of this was a "best villain songs it would be higher. The theme itself is great, its melody is one that will never leave you, no matter how hard you try, and its the perfect theme for Lord Vader.

9: Pink Elephants on Parade (Dumbo):

I should note, one of the reasons why I'm doing these posts is because I herd about Disney's newest movie concept and I'm dreading the final product (never forget Skidds and Mudflap...). This song creeped me out when I was younger, and still kinda does but not to the same level (more unsettled rather then creeped out), not because of the music, though it does help, but instead its the visuals that turn this into something that borderline's nightmare fuel. The use of powerful instruments that match whats happening on the screen combined with the mindf*&^ that is the visuals on screen are the main reasons why I still get disturbed by this song. Don't do drugs kids, because the Pink Elephants are on parade.

8: Friends on the Other Side (The Princess and the Frog):

 Like Tangled, I haven't seen Princess and the Frog so don't expect me to be able to tell you exactly what's happening in this one. While it is sad to see Disney's 2D animation studio gone because of the mediocre success of this movie, according to other critiques, I'm at least glad that Friends on the Other Side was the villain song that saw the studio out. This looks beautiful and its visuals like this that you won't be able to find in 3D animation, it just wouldn't look the same. Doctor Facilier is a gem to watch in this as well, you can tell that anyone involved with that number loved doing this song. Adding to the fact that its a shame Disney is no longer making this style of films and if you don't like the film or his service, you can blame his friends on the other side.

7: Shiver my Timbers (Muppet's Treasure Island):

Yes, The Muppet's are n this list, and for good reason. Shiver my Timbers is a great opening song for a pirate themed story and while I don't like the fact that the credits are blocking the good cinematography in portions of the video, the song itself is still great. The use of the creatures in the world to do the singing is a nice Muppet touch, the lyrics and instrumental's get you excited to see a pirate adventure. I'm not going to critique the movie itself (yet...) I would see it if only for that opening.

6: Oggie Boogie song (The Nightmare before Christmas):

How's this for a contrast? Oggie Boggie's song is a huge contrast from other songs in The Nightmare Before Christmas (because Jack does most of the singing). While most of the songs are much softer, Oggie Boogie's is bombastic and has a personality to back it up. The shifts between Oggie Boogy and Santa Clause, the glow in the dark lighting everywhere in the scene, its just a joy to watch. There are reasons why villain songs are generally the most remembered songs in any musical, and its songs like this that are why.

5: Gaston and The Mob Song (Beauty and the Beast):

This is the official villain song for Beauty and the Beast, but for me, it really isn't, The song's comical. I find it funny because while it's praising the villain, it's also mocking the villain. Its still a nice song, the instrumental matches what's happening on the screen, the performers are great, the animation is charming. Its good, but to me it isn't the villain song.

To me, this is the villain song. You have to admire the french and their mobs, weather its humans of furniture. Like any good villain song, its powerful: powerful instruments, powerful vocals, dark animation all building up to the finale of the film. The mob song is my favorite song from the film for these reasons.

4: Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid):

I can't be the only one who get's a "snake charmer" vibe from this? can I? Ursula can't sing (well... in comparison to the other entries) but her voice works so well for this song and it helped slow down the aging for this song. With Under the sea and Part of their world, if you listen close enough, you can hear the limitations of the equipment they used in the production of the film, especially if you hear them in the DVD/ Blu-Ray re release. You can't really do that here. Even today the audio is clear and clean. The animation is beautiful in this and helps with that snake charmer theme that I mentioned earlier.

3: Be Prepared (The Lion King):

First: "What Nazi symbolism?"
Generic joke aside, should it come as a surprise that I love the Lion King? (encase it getting the number 1 spot on the last list). I love I just can't wait to be king, Can you feel the love tonight but in particular, I love Be prepared. I love the way it looks, I love the instrumentals and I love the lyrics... So why isn't it higher up? Because Jeremy Irons isn't actually singing, but more "talking in tune" for most of the song.

2: Hellfire (Hunchback of Notre Dame):


Why is it the Gypsies in the film sing something more religious then the priest, who sings about lust... moving on...
Hellfire has all the pluses for me when it comes to a powerful song. Powerful instrumental, beautiful yet powerful visuals (the use of shadows, the red cloaks, the use of the fire), strong lyrics and a strong singer (watch the video, it explains itself), even a pseudo Latin choir (listen closely and you'll hear it). Remember when I said that Hunchback of Notre Dame got darker the further into the film you got... this is the case in point. People often have this as their number one, but I think there's one better...

Before I talk about the number 1 song. I'm going to do a 5 honorable mentions. I'm not going to talk about these, just include the videos. These also aren't in any order


5. Curella de Vil (101 Dalmations)

4. Mother knows best (Tangled)



3. Prince Ali (Aladdin)

2. My Lullaby (The Lion King II: Simba's Pride)

1. The elegant Captain Hook (Peter Pan)


And my number 1 best villain song...

1: Savages (Pocahontas):

 Another song that has a message that is, while not as pronounced, still relevant to this day. The true villain in Pocahontas isn't the Ratchiffe, but the human fear of the unknown and this song is the perfect example of it. Notice how both sides are singing the same song, using the same language, the same terms to describe the other side, then when you throw in Pocahontas's part of the song and you get something to rival the songs in Les Miserables. Pocahontas isn't the best Disney film, by any stretch of the imagination. But it still looks beautiful, even if you just look at Savages. the use of the lighting, the imagery the instruments, its beautiful. People often say that we have to remember and acknowledge our past, so that we don't make the same mistakes, here's a reason why.

So those are my lists. If there's any that you agree with, and are there any songs that I forgot? Let me know in the comments. I'm working on another Top 10 list planned, but its not going to go live for a while so I'll keep it a surprise. Project Spark's impression is next week along with Sonic Boom. Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment