Wednesday 3 December 2014

Week of Smash bros.: Top 10: Smash bros. Fighters

Day 3 of my Week of Super Smash Brothers, and what better way then to celebrate the top 10 fighters I've used in the games I've played (again, this excluded Melee). Do note that most of these entries come from Brawl and Smash 4 as they are the two I've played the most. If you see a character here, chances are you'll see me play as them.


10. Mii fighters (Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
While I get use out of all three, I should be more specific, the Mii Swordsman is my go to character. The idea of the Mii's is that they are the most customizable characters in Smash 4. For those who have never owned a Wii, Wii U or 3DS (includes upgrades) system, a Mii is a avatar that can be used in several games. While they didn't appear in Brawl, they debut in Smash 3DS not only with the ability to customize their moves (more on that during the review) but also their entire design. Each Mii fighter can have a unique costume, hat and, as they are Mii's, can be anyone you want, adding to the uniqueness of the character. Now YOU can be a fighter in Smash Bros. or you could get someone else (one of my funnier matches was Mr T. vs Chuck Norris vs Captain Falcon vs Little Mac... the winner was MrT, followed by Chuck Norris, followed by Little Mac, followed by Captain Falcon).

9. Kirby (Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
How could you not love that face? Maybe when you're trying to fight one. Kirby's moves come from the Kirby games and are all based on his copy abilities, including inhale. Using this move, Kirby can use the standard Heavy attack of the character it (Kirby doesn't have a known gender, hence the use of "it") copies. Alternatively, you could have an opponent who loves to use the "Suicide Kirby" trick (Inhale, then jumping off the edge while the opponent is still inside). While light, Kirby can be dangerous if in the wrong hands.

8. Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man (Super Smash Bros for 3DS)
I'll start with Sonic first. One of the common threads you'll see on this list is that I prefer fast moving characters that, while maybe not dishing out a lot of pain, can dish it out quickly and Sonic is no exception. While he did debut in Brawl and was one of my mains in Brawl, Sonic was given a buff to his KO potential with stronger attacks meaning that opponents didn't need to be at 200%+ before a hit could actually take them out... but this comes as a trade. Sonic's Homing Attack now isn't as accurate as Brawl's was (to the point where I've actually seen it hit twice since I got the game) and his Final Smash, Super Sonic, is much harder to control (this one I can live with, Homing attack not so much).

If you're a melee fighter, you're going to HATE Mega Man. Almost all his attacks are ranged with the exception of a few attacks (does Hard Knuckle count though?). All of Mega Man's moves are ripped right out of classic Mega Man and they all work in a similar way (why though are the Metal Blades useless, yet the Top Spin is useful?). Mega Man's Final Smash is a love letter to Mega Man fans as it is all the iconic forms of Mega Man (minus exceptions like Bad Box Art Mega Man) all helping out Classic and it is spectacular. Hard to use at first and while not a great character, a lot of fun to play as.

7. Luigi (Super Smash Bros Brawl):
Luigi plays as a slightly stronger Mario. So why is Luigi here and not Mario, not to mention his Brawl version. Two words: ZA WARLDO! I don't care how bad the Final Smash is and I don't care that his new Final Smash is better, Za Warldo is is hilarious.

6. Little Mac (Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
Described as one of the best fighters in Smash 4. Hits fast, hits hard, move quickly... can't jump to save his live. If you're playing Little Mac, do yourself a favor and STAY ON THE GROUND and STAY IN THE MIDDLE! There is a piece of equipment that gives him a great jump, but you can't use it online (except in friend matches). Little Mac's moves are based on Boxing. No kicks, no knees, no lasers, just you and your punches.

5. Robin (Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
Ah swords characters, the kind of character where its hard to tell who's who. For most sword users, they fight very similarly with the only exceptions being the character gimmicks (Link and his arsenal, Ike's slower but stronger hits ect). There were alot of people who said that they wanted another Fire Emblem representative who didn't use a sword because of how copy paste the sword combat is... until Robin (Avatar as he is the "playable character") made their debut. Robin (no matter which gender you pick) comes with a series of Tomes that they can use, granting them magic use which is of itself, something rare in the Smash rosters. Each of these tomes give them access to spells like Arc fire, Thoron and more but they can only be used so many times before they're gone (I think for the stock, I haven't checked). For Melee, Robin comes with their Levin Sword (which also has durability). The characters themselves though are fun to play because of how different they are to other swordsmen.While I will save it for the Smash Wii U review (when I get the game), Robin's Palutena's Guidance is also one of my favorites. "Time to tip the scales"

4. Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
Spoilers: Samus is a girl. With that out of the way. When I played Smash 64, Samus was the only character I played as (don't know why I didn't try the others...). Samus hasn't changed over the years (as far as I can tell, not including the Final Smash changes) and she's a fairly balanced character. A great Melee fighter and comes with missiles, bombs and her iconic Charge shot. Grapple Beam for throws and recovery and her Spin Attack for that extra height. For a first character, she's a great beginner's choice and still good for more advanced play.

3. Meta Knight (Super Smash Bros Brawl):
When I first got Brawl and unlocked Meta Knight, I played as no one else when I didn't have to and while I know now that it was because he was over powered in Brawl, I didn't care and I still don't care now. He's fun to play as. I like being overpowered in games sometimes. Meta Knight plays the same way as he does in Kirby Return to Dream Land (all the moves are the same) and while he got a debuff in Smash 4, he's still playable (just not my go to character now)

2.Captain Falcon (Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
There's a reason why the Church of Captain Falcon exists. Nothing I say would be any different then what everyone else has said. Why is Captain Falcon here? BECAUSE HE'S CAPTAIN F^%@%(* FALCON, "THE MANLIEST OF MEN"!

And the honorable mentions

1. Link (Super Smash bros for 3DS)

2. R.O.B (Super Smash Bros Brawl)

3. Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros for 3DS)

4. Pokemon Trainer (Super Smash Bros Brawl)

5. Fox (every game, he hasn't changed... at all...)

And the number 1...

1. Lucario (Super Smash Bros for 3DS):
My biggest problem with Lucario in Brawl was his speed. It might be because I liked Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (still do) and that Lucario was fast, so to see one in Brawl being slow, it felt lack luster for me. But then Smash 3DS came out and the speed buff along with that Aura buff. Lucario is slightly faster then Brawl and his Aura powers are glorious. a bit sloppier then in Brawl, but I'll take what I'm given. As Lucario takes damage, the strength of his Aura move do more damage and with their "burn effect", this can be powerful. His Final Smash in Smash 3DS is Mega Lucario which maxes out his aura powers for the duration of the Final Smash. Don't mess with the power of Aura.

Its fine to have characters, but what's the point when you need a stage to fight on? Tomorrow: Top 10 Stages in Super Smash Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment