Tuesday 21 April 2015

First Impressions: Shin Megami Tensai X Fire Emblem. You sure its not Persona x Fire Emblem?




I’ve got to hand it to the Nintendo Directs, they know how to grab my curiosity when it comes to games. I remember hearing about this game years ago and I, like a lot of others, thought it was a dead project. It wasn’t actually until the end of the trailer, when they gave the name of the game, that I realised what it was. Granted, I’ve got no experience with Shin Megami Tensai and its, very similar, side series Persona. But when the trailer started, I thought it was a Persona game. Everything I saw about  the trailer looked like it was a Persona game (based on what I’ve heard thanks to word of mouth).

It's hard to get a grasp on what exactly is happening in this. There's a lot of little details that give hints as to what's happening, but that's all they are, hints. We know there's going to be a party system, we can guess that there's going to be a strong music theme in the game and that there's going to be something that relates to the bridge between fantasy and reality. Fire Emblem fans are going to be put off at first due to the modern day setting this looks like it has.

The combat mechanics look like they're based on Fire Emblem, but with the turn based system of, what I can only assume to be, Shin Megami Tensai. It doesn't look like there are going to be any turn based, army deployment systems like Fire Emblem, instead a standard RPG. The only other Fire Emblem aspect in the game is the reason why I thought it was Persona, as you may be able to tell from the above trailer, the main characters look to have form changes (best way I can describe it, again, never played SMT/ Persona) that changes them from their modern day looks, to stylized Fire Emblem characters, very similar to iconic characters, like Marth and maybe a character from the new Fire Emblem coming next year, based on what I can tell.
As I said before, the trailer shows a lot compared to what we knew about the game, and yet tells so little about the game itself. I'm hoping we get some more info at E3. Up next, Digimon Fusion Season 2.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment