Monday 4 May 2015

First Impressions: Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Thought I'd forget?

One day, every year, there is what's known as Star Wars Day, May the 4th. Did you think I wasn't going to save a new Star Wars movie discussion for today? So finally, after waiting a decade since the last live action film, fans are being treated with Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens. And I think its about time I properly joined into the discussion.





Right off the bat, you can see that VII is using a lot more CG for world building. Iconic places return and memorable ships make their comebacks. You can tell straight away that some time has passed since Episode VI. Right now though, that is all we know that is confirmed, based on trailers but thats because I avoid spoilers. However, there are two things I love about these trailers, one of which is going to continue into the movie. The first is the music, I am getting sick and tired of hearing the Inception music in trailers, and from the very start, the trailers have been using Star Wars styled orchestral pieces, like with the original, and prequel films ( I know people don't like to acknowledge they exist but people, it's been a decade, grow up). The other thing is the costumes and the props, they have actual props, not just CGI. Chewbacca's a costume (based on the few seconds I've seen) and the new Astromech droid on a soccer ball, as physics defying as it is, is real. I know that sounds pathetic but trust me, it makes me happy to see that real props are still being used, not just relying on CGI.

Now onto the one that seems to be on peoples minds, J.J. Abrams and Disney calling the shots. All I would need to say is "Calm down" and leave it at that... you don't come to my site to hear stuff like that, so I'll elaborate. J.J. Abrams has shown that he is more then worthy to handle something like this, this link here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/ showing why (though I do have to say, I'm looking forward to that Portal movie if it's true). As for Disney, we have no reason to believe they're going to kill it, if anything it looks like they're doing everything they can not to. For every bad movie Disney has made, and I'm including all the buy outs as well, there have been 20, if not 30 good ones to make up for it. If these two do somehow mess it up, then I'm going to be a bit more concerned in for episode VIII, but even then. To the Star wars fans, the die hard ones who are doing the complaining, would you rather this, or the son of Jar Jar Binks to be the star of the movie? That's what I thought.

Am I going to see this movie? Yes. At the Cinema? Absolutely... though probably not a midnight opening screening. And yes, I will be covering the other films, they're the summer marathon for 2016 (Australian Summer). But I want your opinions on it, mainly on what you want it to be structured as: Strawpoll link is here: http://strawpoll.me/4273872 Voting will end at the end of the M.M.M. See ya on Wednesday for The Incredible Hulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment