Wednesday 15 July 2015

First Impressions: Transformers Devastation: I'm getting him ready now

Probably about time I covered the games I said I'd cover in the post E3 vid, isn't it? So yeah we got the announcement of a new Transformers game, and it has nothing to do with Bayformers. In fact, not only is it based on Generation 1 for all you Gen 1ers, but its also a prequel for the current line in the toys and IDW comics (something I really need to start reading soon, I'm actually ashamed that I haven't yet), being the Combiner Wars. And with Platnium games as the main Development team... let's just say I have a few words... so what are my thoughts on Devastation? Well, unlike a lot of other people doing posts like this, I don't have nostalgia goggles for Generation 1, as I said during the Transformers Marathon last year. However, that doesn't mean I'm not excited to play this.




We have no idea what the plot's about yet, so I'm going to focus on what's at the forefront of these trailers, the gameplay. And for the love of Primus, these games look like fun. Its cheesy, it looks like a button mash combat, its over the top... and it looks awesome. The combat reminds me of the Bayonetta games, another series which I do intend to try... for gameplay and analysis reasons, you can stop pointing those weapons at me now... Getting back on topic, I enjoy seeing and experiencing games that offer more. A deep, well crafted story, loveable and realistic characters, gorgeous worlds to explore and more. However, for every three course meal, I enjoy having time to relax with a simple platformer, experiencing games that focus on the gameplay, making you feel like the character like the Arkham games. At the same time, its fine to dabble in a bit of junk food every now and then, which is how I see this game. It's there for the gameplay, and the gameplay's meant to be chaotic, over the top and fun. And to me, Devastation looks like fun.

I'm also in love with the cell shading style they've adopted for this, it fits the Generation 1 cartoon designs really well. I'd actually like to see this get refined more, maybe a cartoon series that uses it as I think that would look great. We also get to see a lot of different characters in that art style, only adding to the fact that I think this could work really well.

I know I said I don't have nostalgia goggles for Generation 1 Transformers, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited to see them in this game. There's not much more to say other then it looks like a lot of fun. I'll see you later for the other game I promised, Need for Speed.







And you know what, for the heck of it, Stan Bush, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment